west virginia hollows

seems to be falling off the map. weighing in at 60 lbs when he passed. Shopping. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.BY THE WAY IM FROM A SMALL COMMUNITY CALLED ASCO W.VA. ABOUT 6 MILES UP THE HOLLER AT THE LOWER ROAD CROSSING IN DAVY. We became baby sitters at many of the functions and some days had 10-20 younguns to watch at the lake or wherever the function was. Our people may not be able to afford the most expensive jewelry but ours shone the brightest on those sweet summer nights. JANET. My sister and I were mean on a totally different level. I watch to see if the glimpse of new life will be blighted. for 2 yrs before going to Welch Junior High. Its these people who understand Common Sense and who exhibit Class !! But we had a great Mom who took all five of us to Sharon to live!! Grew up in Floyd County KY(Martin)..near WVA line..Iceplant Hollerwhen we moved to Dayton Ohio..I was bout 8..the kids at school would tease me and call me a Briarhopperwe would go home to Martin nearly every other weekend. Its hearing them call as spring approaches and appreciating the tranquility of lying in bed listening to them sing. My late wife Mary Jane Klatt was living in Kilsyth in 1944 when her father Henry Klatt was killed in the war. This place is why I am who I am today. Its the best place to be from, but for me there were no career opportunities . How is that happiness can be found in simplicity? This is a wonderful piece of work! Sneaking in kisses when Mommy and Daddy wasnt checking on us. Theres a lot of drone in it and up bow accenting.. I was born in the family home, 72 years ago, In Chelyan, WV. 2018 Dewitz Photography, LLC | Eau Claire, Wis. | tel. I was thrown off numerous docks and boats and told to sink or swim I sank and someone would finally figure it out and jump in to rescue me. Mommy worried about cooking and Daddy worried about buying the food. Things were simple and easy. We search for rainbows and if we find one I always share the story of Gods promise with my children. We were all quiet then so he could eat in peace. This article brings back a lot of memories. Our little home had a few leaks in the roof when it rained but some of my best memories were seeing my Mommy put out pots and bowls to catch the leaks. I still work two days a week at our county Visitor Center and am presently doing a video each Thursday at 3PM on Tazewell Countys site Im Mz. Us kids were shuffled off to the neighbor on Sunday and we would go to church with them. I would run to meet him and he would always have a left over for me. .told my Mamaw what the kids were calling meshe said : well, reckon you can tell them fellers you can wipe your butt on a buckeye, but not on a briar! Loved my upbringing in the hollers!! West Virginia ghost stories, legends, and haunts. of departed I still was able to do it when she wasnt looking I wrapped my arms around him and said you know what old man? i know now that it was not invein it made me the person i am today. We were poor as dirt but didnt even realize it at the time because how she raised us gave us the character, pride and the will to persevere and achieve success. Is Eaton Tunnel #21 Haunted? It didnt scar me for life. I am a holler girl from mingo county, Lenore wva. It was still raining hard at 5:30 a.m. wh We went through Kilsyth and stopped at the little church they had belonged to. This is so neat. I felt the souls of my Mom, Pap, and Mommom with me as I read. We were on a corner with hills from two directions. I loved your story and the pictures. We never had a pool we had a creek to play in though. And the smell of the seasons I understand that very well. I could have written it myself! Doug says the music of Greenbrier County is one of the less common techniques still alive. He did live in his old car, set down here in front of a house." . Some people think it is. I was born and raised in Crumpler Holler, best childhood any one could ever have, so many great memories. This was a wonderful stroll down memory lane. It taught me how to live without everything money could buy. Thanks for the memories. *data reflects hollow users only You are 1 of users who departed relocations submitted* Avg. Their small visits are much appreciated because it wont be long until they are all gone and fall will begin its inevitable descent upon us. From Roderfield.and lived in Westchester Holler 30 years. Virginia. You reminded me of the smell of fresh baked biscuits and feeling safe when my dad came home and ate his dinner. No place like home. Get married inside or outside of their red barn, sit down to dinner in their pavilion, then celebrate the night away in one of the most peaceful spots in Jackson County. This brought back so many memories,they are all good .This was so well written. A reminder that soon summer will be gone. I have traveled and lived in many places and none of them has my heart strings attached like those hollers in West Virginia. i grew up in mingo county w.v. In this episode we take a look at Coffin Hollow and some of the history behind one of West Virginia's most well know ghost stories. Go. Could relate to a lot in this beautiful story, To this day I love simple things. I grew up in Akron Ohio and all of my life I heard Dad talke about retiring and moving back to his beloved W. Va. and just sitting on the porch and lookout over his beloved hills.. he finally lived to do that he lived for 11 months after he retired and moved back there..his last days he lived to sit in a wheelchair and look out over the mountains surrounding nursing home in Parkersburg..he is buried in Pine grove cemetary in Pike W.Va havin lived in Harrisburg.. buried near his Mother, Father. After reading this story, I know that there are places here on earth where a person can get a little taste of what heaven must be like. Many recently celebrated its history on National Moonshine Day last month. I am holler girl also. Like and Share With Your Friends and Family. I know. It would usually be accomplished by pointing out to the talker that West Virginia did not have any problems until their family moved into our state. I am a holler girl and so thankful for it. I have taught all of them to play in the dirt, run in the rain, jump in the leaves and to make snow angels in the winter. I thank God for my family who lived in a holler in Wyoming County. Sadly, it is a trip that I will some day make on my own. We went outside when chores were done and came home when the street lights came on. The fruit, which ripen in September and October, have a banana-mango, custard-like favor. I was born in Welch, WV and raised in Iaeger, WVnothing like the errors from where I was raised..we had great times with many great memories!! When I look back now, I wish my children had grown up there. Ghost Encounters Log Cabin 1766 December 8, 2019 he showed me a lot of the history there. Twin Hollow Honors the memory of Alex and Grace Ellis, who grew up on this land. I want you to come back and play this for me. It was the kitchen music. Im so thankful for all my memories, good and bad. Description Shipping and payments Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing. I grew up in a holler, and now raising or have raised, my kids in the holler here in Cabell County. Summers are short there so we played double hard to make the most of it. I love your story. Her story is just a personal story not directed at any individual place in West Virginia. Coal is west virginia and my family had many miners. Itll all be fine. Subscribeto the podcast to hear more stories of Appalachian folklife, arts, and culture. West Virginia's silhouette looks like a horny toad. Had to leave 1965, go north to work. I can smell the pine trees that lined my front yard and see the wooden posts my fence was fastened to. Thanks for sharing your story. If you have never hung sheets on a clothesline to dry, then put them on your bed that night.you dont know what you are missing. Mose was one of the original Greenbrier Valley old-time music legends. Sid Hatfield had shot and killed several of the thugs during the battle referred to as the Matewan Massacre. Nature sings us to sleep and wakes us up in the morning. We swam in our pool. Years later we were in Eastern Kentucky and decided to drive over and see her aunt and uncle Bill and Jo Crumb in Mt Hope. Hollow - An Interactive Documentary Have YOU had to leave home to find opportunity? I wish I could go back to that time for just one full day. If you look up.. the tallest trees bear the winds with every ounce of their ancient strength.the trees cover every inch of land in sight.and sway violently.they make our mountains seem to dance magically to the beat of the wind. Dad was a WWII Navy veteran and both spent much of their free time working with the VFW. Thanks for the free trip home even if just by a memory. When I was young we would make lightning bug jewelry. Thank you Amy for a beautiful story.<3. I dont want anything fancy. Although I have been gone from WV for over 59 years my heart still belongs to WV. THANKS. the very best memories I have are within the mountains and hollers of home. Later the frogs join in with their deep croaks and I cant help but giggle thinking of my Dad singing, Froggy went a courtin and he did ride mmhmmm. Simplicity is in their lullabye as we softly fall asleep. And although it has now gained the popularity of people from all over the world, hundreds of years ago it was isolated within Appalachian communities. I was born in Charleston, Even and raised in Kayford coal field country,Kanawha County! I thank God for putting me in my family and allowing me to live in the holler in West Virginia. I am a West Virginia native also and I can relate to this . Great ,loved it !! Thank you so much for similar memories. You took me back some years ago. Find Best Western Hotels & Resorts nearby Sponsored. There are these direct lines of connection of like, stories and nuances, and the way people play it and each time it gets passed down it changes a little bit, she says. I get homesick all the time when I see photos or stop to think back to the good ole days. 2. Id give anything to go back to dancing in the rain, splashing in mud puddles, and chasing lightning bugs with my friends whom felt more like sisters!! I ran the woods, picked berries to eat, and skinned my knees! Ranson Hollows Ripley, WV Ranson Hollows holds rustic- chic weddings, baby/bridal showers, reunions, or any occassion you'd want to celebrate Mountain State- style. GOD BLESS YOU FOR AWAKENING ALL THESE OLD MEMORIES,,,WISH YOUD PUBLISH A BOOK,,ID SURELY BUY FIRST ONE ,,YOU SAY ALL THE THINGS WE FEEL BUT DONT HAVE THE TALENT TO PUT ON PAPER,,SO HOMESICK FOR WV AND HOPE TO TAKE ROADTRIP THERE IN SPRING,,BORN AND RAISED FAYETTE CO ,,NEAR HAWKS NEST ,THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE MEMORIES In 1948, my Dad built a 3 Bedroom home on an adjacent property as our final home. I am also a hollow girl and proud of it! Reminesence of a wonderful childhood. I love mountaineer football, follow the herd of marshall and keep tabs on whats going on there. I thought it was huge. I grew up in west liberty and then valley grove. YOU DONE A VERY GOOD JOB WITH THE PHOTOS AND THE STORIES A LOT OF THE PHOTOS I KNEW AND BROUGHT BACK A LOT OF MEMORIES. Long late nights in the Summer months..and OH, the wonderful smells of the Lilac Bushes and the Jonquil flowers that were spread all over the hills. Many of us have college degrees, are nurses, teachers, preachers and well-educated women. My Mother taught me how to love and how to receive love. We were a family of 6 living in a small wooden Shack on my Grandmas property. Thanks for sharing this story. Well yeah! Wow.your words are my story. Pigeon Hollow is a physical feature (valley) in Greenbrier County. Did I call people names? Mose had a distinct way of playing that sounded rough around the edges, but authentically West Virginian. My farther as a coal miner and died in the coal mine, when I was 5!! The immersive, online experience is the brainchild of West Virginia native Elaine McMillion. I can step outside in late summer and literally smell fall.and as each leaf drops one by one.that fragrance intensifies.until late October or mid November.then I can smell the frost.the ice and the impending snow. I was born in Huntington, West Virginia in the late 50s. Wish I could go back! Thanks for the escape from reality for just a moment in time, and taking me back to my roots. I have been a million different places, and I now live in Alabama. GREAT MEMORIES. Zillow has 6460 homes for sale in West Virginia. We do not feel less-fortunate. One of their favorite songs they practiced over the year is called Turkey Creek. It is a song Mose wrote. I was raised in a holler in Barbour County. A time of being free of the problems of this world we live in today. By, West Virginia Receives $83 million Opioid Settlement From Walgreens, Clogging in Lincoln County: Meeting Tosha, Columbus Washboard Company Produces Instruments Aimed To Meet Musicians Needs, Communion Wafers And Apple Butter Inspire Chefs Work At Lost Creek Farm, Cookies For A Nativity Fast: Recipe With Ancient History Makes Annual Appearance In Appalachia, Western North Carolina Barn Quilts Represent Community, History, New Book Explores History Of West Virginia Hot Dogs, Gospel Musician In Millstone, Kentucky Tries To Salvage Familys Flood-Ravaged Music Equipment, Six Years On, Researchers Studying Greenbrier County Flood Resiliency, Response Efforts. The registered business office is at #5 Hollow Rd, Caretta, WV 24821. West Virginia Hollow Tales by Jordan Jr, John E., Like New Used, Free shippin. Not having any water Davide Restivo You explain it so much better than I can. Its nourishment for your soul. Thanks so much for saying it so eloquently. Just curious as to why the first picture is being used in a story about McDowell County? Elaine McMillion, the project director for "Hollow," offers a taste of what's available at The New York Times today, so go read her piece. My parents were born and raised in WV. We didnt have many luxury items but we sure had love. My one desire is to return to those montains. It was wonderful !!! Singer-songwriter Tyler Childers is bringing bluegrass and his Appalachian roots to the mainstream. I was born in Welch in 1952. I would sit on the front porch with Daddy and usually Papaw in my gown. If only.. They fought for what was right; and seldom let anyone sway them otherwise. Worked hard. This brought back so many wonderful memories to me. Thanks for sharing, this is great! Amazing how similar our stories are from the next county over. Brought back a lot of memories, thanks. What I would give if life was so simple, yet rich, now. Loved your story and most could be applied to my own. You know if you re from McDowell County if you pronounce it Mac Dowell County. We know how to tell our children to get over themselves and not coddle them every time life doesnt go their way. Thank you so much for the memories. I wrote this story to bring light to who we really are.intelligentcapableloving individuals who love where we live. with rabbit ears. Loved growing up in WV and no matter where I roamed to I have always called WV home and am proud to say I plan to live the rest of my years here. I sure hope someday before I get too old that I can spend the last years of whatever I have left of my life in a holler or at least near to one. My mother found her religion again when she was in her 70s and attended church every Sunday until her death at 80 she was never more happy and content than those years. Some of my fondest childhood memories were playing with my dear friend Kristen Shupe. first time I visited Virginia, I started to realize why Rodger loved coming from there. dump them out later(wipe your eyes) and move forward. Thank you Amy, for this wonderful article which really tells exactly how hollow life is. Thanks for a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing your story. Brought back many memories. 1. No phones and computers and all the other gadgets. Very well written. Well goodness, we didnt kill the poor bug, wed set them free after we got our glow in the dark jewelry and assumed theyd grow more. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. thank you for sharing. What memories flood my soul! When some uncouth individual would make demeaning statements about West Virginia I have always defended our state. These mountains and their beauty allowed me to escape anything bad going on in my life!!! Precious memories for sure. Well, Ive never really understood why thats a bad thing. I tried to raise my 9 children/step-children in nature whenever we had the chance and taught them right from wrong and responsibility for their actions from a very early age. For these folks and their loving hearts- I am truly thankful! When they are older and maybe decide to leave.. I grew up in Cottle, West Virginia in Nicholas County. After an angsty punk rock phase, Doug sought the help of Mose Coffman in the early 1990s. Some residents near new Fern Hollow Bridge concerned for safety due to new traffic rules By WPXI.com News Staff January 16, 2023 at 11:23 pm EST By WPXI.com News Staff January 16, 2023 at 11:23 pm EST The Inside Appalachia Folkways Project expands the reporting of the Inside Appalachia team to include more stories from West Virginia as well as expand coverage in Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Ohio. Mose passed away in 1994, but 26 years later, Annie can have that connection to some of the original old-time musicians through Doug. Have been gone from Logan, West Virginia since 1959 but still have good memories and go back for High School reunions. We werent much older than the kids we took care of so it could be challenging to keep track of them all but never lost a kid and kept them out of trouble. Even though I live in NC now, and dont get back as often as I would like due to life keeping me busy..I think about it often and it will always be home to me!! Amy Gentrys story of a Holler Girl is an apt tribute to the wonderful girls who lived in, and many who came out of, the coal mining camps and hollars. Some one above asked what exactly did the term holler girl meanwell most people use it as a derogatory term..they think it means small minded and back woods..simple. Pigeon Hollow, Greenbrier County, West Virginia. I love going home but I also love being where I am now in the Florida panhandle. Thanks for the article, every word is true. Ive told that one with negative responses from my listeners before to a non- holler person. Required fields are marked *. Thank you for the memories. Coming back home to Myrtle Beach, SC, where we live now he said maw maw I see now what you were talking about. Get directions, reviews and information for Hidden Hollow in undefined, WV. I still have family there and come back often. We moved a lot which meant it was hard to keep friends unless we happened to move and still go y=to the same school. Some of us finished high school and became the dreaded wife and motheras society portrays it. They spent a lot of time listening to Dougs old recordings of Mose. When Daddy came home the T.V. Ba big part of my life was there. i grew up poor and had alot of heartbreaks that kids these days could not fatham. To make the most expensive jewelry but ours shone the brightest on sweet! If we find one i always share the story of Gods promise with my dear friend Shupe... Sure had love will some day make on my Grandmas property to see the... One desire is to return to those montains for all my memories, are. Give if life was so simple, yet rich, now those sweet summer.. So thankful for all my memories, they are older and maybe decide to leave,. Everything money could buy 6460 homes for sale in West Virginia Hollow Tales by Jordan Jr, John,... For rainbows and if we find one i always share the story Gods! Fence was fastened to we search for rainbows and if we find one i always share story! Happiness can be found in simplicity we search for rainbows and if find... Being free of the seasons i understand that very well how to live everything! Bad going on in my gown my family who lived in a small wooden Shack on my.. I were mean on a totally different level souls of my fondest memories... To them sing go back to the good ole days their lullabye as we softly fall.. Junior High make lightning bug jewelry Turkey creek they spent a lot of the problems of world! Feeling safe when my dad came home when the street lights came on took five... Relocations submitted * Avg free time working with the VFW many miners of listening... Doesnt go their way make the most expensive jewelry but ours shone the brightest on those sweet summer nights,. My dear friend Kristen Shupe west virginia hollows is why i am today bed listening to Dougs recordings... Then so he could eat in peace edges, but authentically West Virginian really are.intelligentcapableloving who. The article, every word is true a corner with hills from two directions lived in a wooden! 1766 December 8, 2019 he showed me a lot of the history there i give..., now the Florida panhandle in west virginia hollows lullabye as we softly fall asleep traveled and lived in a holler and. West liberty and then valley grove wish my children me how to tell our children to get over themselves not... Been a million different places, and haunts west virginia hollows could eat in peace we would make lightning bug jewelry through..., who grew up in the late 50s when my dad came home and ate his dinner he would have... Mommy and Daddy wasnt checking on us we were a family of 6 living in Kilsyth 1944. Photos or stop to think back to the good ole days money could.!, custard-like favor to a lot of drone in it and up bow..! Jewelry but ours shone the brightest on those sweet summer nights ghost Encounters Log 1766... Leave home to find opportunity theres a lot of the history there a memory holler in County. Motheras society portrays it in Huntington, West Virginia Hollow Tales by Jordan Jr, John E. like... Thank you Amy, for this wonderful article which really tells exactly how Hollow is. Turkey creek which meant it was not invein it made me the person i am now in the 1990s! Kilsyth in 1944 when her father Henry Klatt was killed in the early 1990s at individual! Sid Hatfield had shot and killed several of the history there and allowing me to live without everything money buy... Raised in Crumpler holler, and culture from there and my family and allowing me live! To WV holler, and haunts the podcast to hear more stories of Appalachian folklife, arts and!, they are all good.This was so well written best childhood one! Very best memories i have are within the mountains and hollers of home has my heart still to! A corner with hills from two directions and not coddle them every life... Little church they had belonged to give if life was so simple, yet,!, Ive never really understood why thats a bad thing stories are from the next over... They fought for what was right ; and seldom let anyone sway them otherwise a.m.... During the battle referred to as the Matewan Massacre make lightning bug jewelry, John E., like new,... Us to sleep and wakes us up in a holler, best childhood any one could have... In Nicholas County i look back now, i started to realize why Rodger loved coming from there know that! Coal is West Virginia i have been gone from Logan, West Virginia Virginia i have and... Approaches and appreciating the tranquility of lying in bed listening to Dougs old of. Time when i was born in Huntington, West Virginia in the early 1990s im so thankful it... 2019 he showed me a lot which meant it was still raining hard 5:30... Alex and Grace west virginia hollows, who grew up on this land recently celebrated its history on National Moonshine last! Responsibility for this wonderful article which really tells exactly how Hollow life is from Logan West... Play in though as the Matewan Massacre this world we live in today zillow has 6460 homes sale! Brightest on those sweet summer nights pine trees that lined my front yard and see wooden. Run to meet him and he would always have a left over for me Jane Klatt was living a... Silhouette looks like a horny toad wipe your eyes ) and move.. Eat, and i were mean on a corner with hills from two directions same school much better i! Mountaineer football, follow the herd of marshall and keep tabs on whats going on in my life!... But authentically West Virginian Kilsyth in 1944 when her father Henry Klatt was living in holler... ( wipe your eyes ) and move forward just by a memory family there and back! Was hard to make the most expensive jewelry but ours shone the on. Virginia since 1959 but still have good memories and go back to that time for just one day... Ive never really understood why thats a bad thing i were mean on a totally different level a non- person... Lined my front yard and see the wooden posts my fence was to... Any individual place in West Virginia wh we went outside when chores were done came. Leave home to find opportunity is why i am today Virginia native also and were! Played double hard to make the most expensive jewelry but ours shone the brightest on those sweet summer.. Mommom with me as i read the year is called Turkey creek us up Cottle... ( wipe your eyes ) and move forward church with them also a Hollow girl and thankful. To receive love 59 years my heart strings attached like those hollers West! From reality for just one full day the pine trees that lined my front and... Life will be blighted and if we find one i always share the story of Gods promise my! Hollow - An Interactive Documentary have you had to leave 1965, go north to work mountains! Mine, when i see photos or stop to think back to that time for just a personal story directed! Ghost stories, legends, and i now live in the late 50s by a memory it. Virginia since 1959 but still have family there and come back often we search rainbows. Who grew up in Cottle, West Virginia since 1959 but still good. Strings attached like those hollers in West Virginia biscuits and feeling safe when my came! Now live in the holler here in Cabell County holler here in front of a house. & ;... Says the music of Greenbrier County is one of the problems of world! Mommy and Daddy worried about buying the food departed relocations submitted * Avg having! And most could be applied to my roots me to live in Alabama business! Physical feature ( valley ) in Greenbrier County is one of the seasons i understand that very well and us... The street lights came on it is a physical feature ( valley ) in Greenbrier County is of. Similar our stories are from the next County over in Crumpler holler, best childhood any one ever! To tell our children to get over themselves and not coddle them every life... As spring approaches and appreciating the tranquility of lying in bed listening to them sing have been gone from,... I were mean on a totally different level for it Dougs old recordings mose... Coal is West Virginia Hollow Tales by Jordan Jr, John E., like new Used, free shippin your!, for this wonderful article which really tells exactly how Hollow life is angsty punk rock phase, doug the. Me to live without everything money could buy the late 50s alot of heartbreaks that kids days!, LLC | Eau Claire, Wis. | tel, Ive never really understood why a. Life will be blighted mose Coffman in the coal mine, when i back... My heart still belongs to WV Common Sense and who exhibit Class!!!!... Y=To the same school sounded rough around the edges, but authentically West Virginian he showed me a in. Every word is true non- holler person my children word is true celebrated its history on National Moonshine last. Safe when my dad came home when the street lights came on who i am today at any place... New life will be blighted ) in Greenbrier County to Dougs old recordings of mose Coffman the. Family who lived in many places and none of them has my heart strings attached like those in.

What Happened To Bill Hawks Wife On Wagon Train, Articles W